Skip to table of contents

Skip to main content

2.7 - Types of Admission

2.7.1 - Full Standing

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center uses the 4.00 scale to calculate grade point averages, with an "A" equal to 4.00. An applicant must have a baccalaureate or entry level first professional degree from an accredited university or college and a 3.00 grade point average (4.0 scale) in the last 60 hours of course work applied to the degree. The applicant must be in good standing with the college or university where currently enrolled or last attended in order to be considered for admission in full standing to a degree program. If the applicant's transcript does not identify the last 60 hours, the entire transcript will be evaluated for admission. An applicant who has completed 12 hours or more of graded graduate level course work in an area related to the degree program of interest may be considered for admission. The applicant must have completed the course work at an accredited college or university with a 3.00 grade point average in all graduate work attempted and be in good standing with the college or university where currently enrolled or last attended. Additional academic work that is applicable to the degree program may be used in evaluating a student for admission into a graduate degree program.

An applicant presenting transcripts without a baccalaureate or entry level first professional degree posted may be admitted to a graduate degree program. An applicant admitted under these conditions must present an official transcript with the degree posted within the first semester of enrollment in the Graduate College. Failure to do so will result in a hold on future enrollment.

Except for those admitted a special student, the applicant must be recommended by a department or program unit. The final decision for admission to any graduate program, either as a degree or non-degree student, is determined by the Dean of the Graduate College.

2.7.2 - Probationary Admission

An applicant who does not meet the minimum grade point requirements for admission in full standing, may be considered for probationary admission to a degree program. Probationary admission to the degree program requires the recommendation of the department or program unit and approval of the Graduate Dean. When the student has completed the terms of the probationary admission, the student will be classified as full standing in the degree program.

Admission of an applicant with a grade point average less than a 3.00 (2.75-2.99) may be made only in an unusual case. In such cases, admission will depend heavily on other indicators of the applicant's ability to do successful graduate level work. These indicators might include but are not limited to a strong performance on standardized tests, a high grade point average in the major, and/or subsequent experiences that clearly indicate strong academic ability.

A student admitted with a grade point average less than 3.00 must earn at least a 3.00 grade point average in the initial 9 hours of graded graduate course work. The 9 hours must be courses required for the degree. It is expected these courses will be completed within one calendar year following initial enrollment.

2.7.3 - Unclassified Students

The OUHSC Graduate College does not accept unclassified students.

2.7.4 - Special Students

An applicant must meet the requirements for admission into the Graduate College. Please read directions carefully as the application fee is non-refundable. The Graduate College allows Special Student acceptance only under restricted circumstances. Most individuals accepted need a specific course for professional advancement such as recertification. Enrollment must be approved by the course director(s), the director of the program responsible for the course(s), and the Graduate Dean. Special Student acceptance is not granted to students who wish to take courses to enhance an existing application to advanced degree programs. Enrollment is limited to 12 semester hours.  Application and procedure to apply as a Special student is located on the Admissions and Records website.

2.7.5 - Postdoctoral Fellows

Postdoctoral fellows who have received a doctoral degree from an accredited institution may be admitted as a Special graduate student with a non-resident tuition waiver. Fellows who wish to be admitted to a degree program must follow the normal admission requirements for all graduate students. If a Postdoctoral fellow wishes to enroll as a degree-seeking student within the same department, they cannot teach graduate level courses in that department.

2.7.6 - Currently Enrolled University of Oklahoma Norman Students

Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students from the University of Oklahoma Norman campus who wish to apply for admission to an OUHSC graduate program should contact the Office of Admissions and Records, Room 121, Bird Library Building, for application instructions. Once the application file is complete, their academic records will be referred to the Graduate College and to the prospective program for consideration. Enrollment as a student on the Norman Campus does not ensure admission to a Health Sciences Center degree program. Once admitted, undergraduate students must notify the Graduate College if they have failed to complete any requirements for the undergraduate degree. If any requirements have not been completed, the admission will be canceled and the student must reapply for admission.

2.7.7 - International StudentsUpdated: 1/26/2024

International applicants must fully meet the academic requirements for admission to the university, college and department; satisfy the English proficiency requirement and verify adequate financial support. International applicants and students are not eligible for financial aid through the university. All international and permanent resident applicants must fulfill the following requirements:

  1. Meet the same admission criteria as required for American citizens.
  2. Score 79 or higher on the TOEFL (iBT). This is waived for applicants from certain countries where English is the native language. Consult the Admissions and Records International page for details. Also see individual programs on the Graduate College web site for programs requiring a higher TOEFL score. Scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Applicants with a U.S. high school diploma or with a four-year U.S. baccalaureate degree may submit a TOEFL Waiver Request Form to the Admissions and Records Office.
  3. Submit certified copies of transcripts from the university baccalaureate level work and certified copies of degrees awarded. Any applicant with foreign credentials is required to have their transcripts or marksheets evaluated course-by-course through WES (World Education Services): or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
  4. Present acceptable evidence of financial adequacy to pursue a course of study at OUHSC (for F-1 students). International students for whom English is a second language and who serve as graduate teaching assistants must demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written English.
  5. International students admitted on probation status are not eligible for issuance of the I-20 document.  Specific admission policies with minimum academic requirements are listed on the college websites and/or handbooks.

2.7.8 - Reserved Admission and Readmission

Upon being admitted to the Graduate College, prospective students are expected to enroll in courses at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in the semester they are admitted. Upon the request of the program or Dean, the Office of Admission and Records will hold admission for up to one year. Students are subject to the regulations in effect during their first term of enrollment so long as they maintain continuous enrollments.

Graduate students who interrupt their enrollment in the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center for more than one year must reapply for admission. If readmitted, they will be subject to the regulations in effect at the time of readmission.

2.7.9 - Change of Degree or Major

Students in good academic standing may request to change degree options within a program or transfer to another graduate program at the Health Sciences Center by completing a Request for Change of College, Major or Degree Option form. The request must be approved by all programs involved, the college Dean, and the Graduate Dean. Students on probationary status must move to full-standing status and have an overall graduate grade point average of 3.0 or greater prior to initiating a request for change of status.

Return to top