If the GA, GRA, or GTA appointment is with a faculty member who does not hold an appointment in the student’s degree- granting department, the hiring department should initiate the GA Authorization Form found online. If the chair supports the appointment, completed documents should be forwarded to the Graduate College Dean who will approve the appointment if the work experience is directly related to the program of study and degree requirements.
The GA, GRA, or GTA appointment will be in the hiring department. The appointment must meet all requirements, policies and procedures defined by the degree-granting department for GA, GRA, and GTA appointments in the department.
The following documentation is included on the authorization form:
- A detailed description of duties and how they are related to the program of study.
- Description of the purpose and scope of the project on which the student would work.
- Identification of the department and college where the project is located.
- Identification of the faculty member who supervises the work and definition of the faculty member’s association with the primary department and/or education.
- List of skills that will be developed or learned that are directly related to the graduate program objectives.
- Statement by student addressing how this experience will enhance the student’s career objectives, including specific and measurable outcomes (i.e., professional presentations, publications, etc.).
- Statement by the supervising faculty member confirming the scope of the work, its relevance to the program of study, the stipend amount and % time appointed.